The non-governmental organisation “MTÜ Idee” (NGO “Idea”)
The independent Estonian non-profit association for research and education
Registry Code: 80128300
Address: Pärna 23-33 Kohtla-Järve Estonia
Bank account: Luminor EE591700017003249288
The mission of the NGO “Idea” is to develop the professional discussion of social work and social welfare in Estonia and the partnership with research organizations in Europe and the world.
The NGO “Idea” is following the concept that social work is an academic profession; according to the Global Standards of Social Work, an academic education is a most important component of professionalism. Human rights and social policy are integral to social work theory and practice, of values and ethics. Social work must promote social justice, as the profession strives to reach out to and empower all people.
The non-governmental organisation is working on human rights education and education for democratic citizenship at local, national and international level.
During twenty years NGO „Idea“ has participated in the progress of Estonian civil society and the progress of social work`s profession. The main activities are research, education and supervision. From 2000 to 2004, the organization was the member in the Estonian development project of NGO’s and, furthermore, the organization was the project coordinator in Viru` County.
At the same time NGO „Idea“ was the member of expert group of the Local Initiative Programme in Lääne-Viru County and the member of the working group of Lääne-Viru County government and Association of Municipal Governments in Lääne-Viru County. The coordinated project was aimed at improving sustainability of third-sector organizations in the county for the CBS funding. From spring 2002 to spring 2003, the member of the preparatory working group for founding a Development organization for the Lääne-Viru County and from 2003 to 2004, Council member of Lääne-Viru Development Center.
Since 2004, the organization has participated in the process of merging to European Union at the local level by undertaking the information campaign on EU social policy within project funded by European Commission. Focused on progress of civil society and social work, different courses and training programmes were offered from 2005 to 2011, also in cooperation with Estonian Ev. Luth. Church and Estonian Council of Churches.
Some important reports of research and presentations.
- The report „COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT IN THE CHURCHES IN ESTONIA: Practice of Community development in Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church“ (2011).
- “The Professionals and the volunteers: develop the partnership” 6rd International Diaconia Conference in EELC Institute of Theology (18.11.2011)
- “Long term perspectives of the Estonian social welfare system. Norway, the Diakonhjemmet University College (2009)
- “Diaconia and social welfare: challenges to municipal social welfare development” 3rd International Diaconia Conference in EELC Institute of Theology (20.10.2007)
- „Long term perspectives of the Estonian social welfare system: sustainability of the municipal social welfare as a key question” ESAK VII (2007)
- „Identity and Challenges of Diaconia in a Post-Socialist Society – Case Study Estonia”, International Conference for the Study and Development of Diaconia in Järvenpää, Finland (2006)
- “Challenges of Diaconia for the Social welfare system in Estonia 1996-2006” published in “The Handbook of Diaconia” (2006)
- The access and coverage of social services in Lääne-Viru County (2006)
- „The Role of the NGO’s in the Estonian social welfare system” 3th Congress of Social work, Tallinn (November 28-30, 2005)
- „Private social welfare system: the history, the present and the future perspectives” International conference „80 Years of organized social welfare in Estonia – experiences from the past and challenges for the future”, The University of Tartu , (November 6–7, 2005)
- Merging (Reforming) the government-funded institutions – its impact on availability of services in Lääne-Viru and Ida-Viru County (2004)
- Analysis of Social welfare services in 2000 – 2004 (based on students’ papers) (2004)
- The analysis of the activities, resources and roles of NGO’s providing social services based on studies performed in the years 1999-2001 (2003)
- Analysis-study of the NGO’s in Lääne-Viru County (2002)